Monday, August 2, 2010

dear ol' dad.

i am, most definitely, a daddy's girl.





but then, i guess, all of my dad's girls are.  he's always been there for us, to push and to pick up through the all of our learning experiences, he made sure we all made it through high school and into college, he's been our coach, our mentor, our friend and heck, he's even done our laundry.

of all the things i've learned in my life, and all the things i question and wonder about, the one thing i've always known is that my dad will always be there for me, no matter what kind of trouble i get myself into, or which path my life takes.  he could pressure me to choose a career and get on with my education, but he's been very understanding about my taking this time off to enjoy my youth and maybe make a few mistakes and learn a few lessons before i enter grad school.

we haven't always agreed, and we probably never will, but i wouldn't change that for the world.  the way that my parents raised me, made me who i am, and if my dad never challenged me the way that he did, then i don't think i would challenge myself. 

and now, even though it's been years since he's been active, and maybe his body isn't what it was when he was my age, he's been dedicated to making his life healthier and losing a ton of weight.  he's an inspiration to my sisters and i by running 5ks at least 2 times a month and setting a specific time goal and meeting it.  because of him (and my mom, who started the exercise trend in our home) we are all signed up to run the family fun 5k at disney in january.  i hope i can keep up!

i guess what i'm trying to say is, thank you, dad.  for being my coach, tutor, role model, bank, mechanic and so much more. 

happy 45th.

No comments: