Thursday, February 2, 2012

national wear red day.


my involvement with the american heart association began in college, once i joined my sorority.  our national philanthropy is cardiac care, specifically in women.  we partnered with the american heart association to raise awareness about heart disease in women and raise money for research.

go red for women is an important program because they encourage women to listen to their hearts and bodies and to care for them in the best ways possible.  go red for women is committed to raising awareness about heart disease in women and helping women maintain healthy lifestyles.  they provide cooking tips, exercise tips, research material, tips for talking to your doctor, etc.

each year they celebrate national heart month during the month of february.  it kicks off with wear red day, which is the first friday of february (tomorrow!).   businesses and schools all over the country will be wearing red to help us raise awareness and funds. 

for those of you who don't know, my grandma had heart surgery a few years ago.  my mom has high blood pressure and my great-grandmother suffered from strokes.  heart disease has seriously impacted my family and now that i am aware of my own family's heart issues, i am even more concerned with cardiac care and the american heart association's fight against heart disease.  i am so excited to dress up in something red tomorrow and wear my red dress pin (get yours for free, here) with all my fellow supporters (and especially my alpha phis). 

i hope some of you will consider joining us, by wearing red and learning what you can do to raise awareness in your community.  but even if you don't do that, at least take a look at what you can do to maintain a healthy heart.  love yourself, you deserve it. 

join the cause and get started on your journey with go red for women here.

No comments: