Thursday, November 3, 2011

the scariest scare.


oh riley.  how i love that puppy so.  and this past weekend, he gave me the biggest scare of my life.

riley and chloe were playing, as always, and riley was chasing her around the house.  we had had a party the night before, and so our dining room chairs were in random spots throughout the den.  chloe ran under one and jumped up on the ledge leading to our dining room.  riley followed her, of course, but he didn't have a good enough view of the jump and ended up hitting his head on the bottom of the chair.  he yelped, but he seemed to be fine as he ran over to my lap.  then he started throwing up.  i rushed to take him outside, but right as i put the leash on him he lost his balance and then he started convulsing.

i went into shock, but thankfully my mom and sisters stayed pretty level-headed.  we rushed him to the vet but by the time we got there riley was more alert and moving around.  the vet thinks he maybe had an injury similar to what boxers experience, where their head is hit so hard that their brain rocks back and forth in the skull.

all i know is that i can't live without my pup.  he's been my best friend for two years now, and my constant companion.  all the times that ernest would go on detachment, and all the times that i would find myself feeling down, riley has always been there to make me feel better.  he knows when i'm crying to come and sit in my lap and love on me.  he's always been a little rambunctious and playful.

needless to say, i've been worried about him all week.  i can see a slight change in his abilities, so that makes me nervous.  i know he'll be fine, but i just need to hover over him a little bit, because i would be lost without him.  he's itching to run and play, but it will take a few more days before i'm comfortable with him chasing chloe again.  in the meantime we've been spending a lot of cuddle time in my bed, watching shows on my laptop.

No comments: